National Arbor Day is celebrated each year on the last Friday in April to encourage tree planting and tree care. For information about Arbor Day, visit the Arbor Day Foundation web site.
Big Tree Hunt
The Michigan Big Tree Hunt is on! Find out how you can join the search for a national champion in Michigan and download an entry form to submit your big find.
Common Tree Diseases & Pests
Have a problem with an insect or disease on your trees? Take a look at our Common Tree Diseases & Pests page for information on several common tree diseases and insect problems. If what you have is not listed, the Master Gardeners at the MSU Extension office may be able to help you. They have a diagnostic lab to analyze and identify plant problems and make control or management recommendations. Contact the Master Gardeners at (734) 997-1819.
Crop Tree Management
Crop tree management is a very effective way to manage your trees. Learn more about Crop Trees and Thinning.
For information on national forests, visit the USDA Forest Service web site.
Fruit Tree Planting & Care
Information and links on the planting and care of fruit trees.
Learn more about cutting grapevines and poison ivy vines, which can cause serious damage to standing trees.
Invasive Species & Control
Invasive species have negative ecological, economic, social and public health impacts. Review our Invasive Species and Control page for general information.
Two particular invasives that can seriously impact woodlots and their productivity are Autumn Olive and Oriental Bittersweet.
- Solar Drying Kiln, A cost-effective and efficient way to take green boards to usable lumber.
Other Forestry/Tree Links
- Forest Landowners Guide: Michigan (USDA Forest Service)
- Southeast Michigan Resource Conservation & Development Council (A variety of links for Emerald Ash Borer; Urban Wood Utilization; Timber Price Reports; Wood Products, Processing & Handling; Wood Properties; Wood Industry Sawmills; Woody Biomass Energy; Marketing Wood Products; and Local Woodworking Groups.)
Plant a Tree
Check out our Tree & Shrub Planting Guide, which includes a plant spacing chart; information on site preparation; planting; and maintenance recommendations.
Also review our handy reference, Likelihood of Deer Damage on Trees and Shrubs, which provides general guidance in selecting plants based on their deer damage potential.
Pruning Forest Trees
Learn about pruning forest trees, an excellent way to improve the value of a standing tree for a future harvest.
If you are looking to sell timber from your woodlot or need assistance with a timber sale, look at our Timber Sales page for information on consulting foresters, timber buyers, how to conduct a sale, and more.
For information on starting or being certified as a Tree Farm, visit the American Tree Farm System web site.
- Identifying Trees of Michigan (Koelling, MSU Extension, 2003)
For helpful information, see Planting and Transplanting Trees and Shrubs from the University of Minnesota Extension Service.
- Is My Yard Tree Worth Money? (Minnesota DNR)
- Marketing Yard Trees (Gretter, Louks, & Nelson, Indiana DNR, 2003)
- Tree Owner's Manual for Northeastern and Midwestern United States (U.S. Forest Service, 2008)
- Urban Forestry Consultants in Michigan
- Urbanwood.org (Southeast Michigan's Reclaimed Wood Marketplace)
- Use of Urban and Development Site Trees for Lumber (Cassens & McKenzie, Purdue University, 2002)